Sunday 18 August 2013

End of week 5 - Sakon Nakhon

This four day week has been great. I have been teaching animals and their habitats to the younger children and teaching hobbies and past times to the older students. The students seem to really understand me (at least, I think they do!) and are getting on so well with all the vocab games we have been playing. As always, the younger classes of mathayom are absolute monkeys and I have had to confiscate so many things in lessons; from paper planes to teddy bears.
 
At the weekend, we ventured off to Sakon Nakhon with our friend Tae. First stop was Sakon Nakhon University; we sat in on a Business Strategy lecture...which was 3 hours...in Thai. So I put in my headphones and tried to look interested. Lectures here are pretty much the same as in England; everyone is on their phone playing CandyCrush, people wander in late and the students at the back are asleep.
Next stop was a trip to the waterfalls. It was so much fun. We went with a big group of Tae's university friends and had a few whisky's in the gorgeous surroundings. The only thing was, I didn't realise people didn't wear bikinis there, it is more of a jump-in-in-all-your-clothes kinda thing. I hadn't brought spare clothes so had to endure the awkwardness of people looking at me in a bikini...
In the evening, we went to watch a Thai movie about Issan 50 years ago. It was the most random movie I have ever seen in my life; it was in Thai but had English subtitles which definitely weren't translated right...or maybe it was. One joke was a father telling his daughter to go and wash her bumhole...I don't think I will ever understand Thai humour.

Then we went to a Thai club. I have no words.

My lovely 5/1 class
 
In a lecture at Sakon Nakhon University

 
Waterfall fun

Waterfall fun

Waterfall fun

Waterfall fun

Waterfall fun
 

No comments:

Post a Comment