Tuesday 3 September 2013

Let's Wrap This Up

So this is going to sound like one big cliché but here we go...
 
On reflection, this trip has got to be the hardest, most amazing thing I have ever experienced. It really was no easy ride, and I had my fair share of highs and lows, but definitely more highs.
 
It was difficult, challenging in every way and emotionally testing at times but I will be able to take so much from this. Again, it may sound like this is cliché but I have learnt so much from living in rural Thailand for 2 months!
  • Firstly, now that I have done this, I can do anything. I have been chased by wild dogs, I have been lost in the suburbs of Bangkok in the middle of the night in monsoon rain, I have kept a class of fifty twelve year olds under control, I have eaten chicken blood soup, I have killed more spiders than I count (and I am the biggest spider wuss), I have stayed in a house with mice and tarantulas, I have taught in 40c heat and the list goes on... The idea of going back to Norwich seems slightly to tame after this summer.
  • Go for it. You really need to take every opportunity you can - if I hadn't have been offered this placement, I probably would have spent my summer with a mundane job, bored out of my nut - what is the point. I'm definitely going to try and do something like this again next summer. If you are lucky enough to have a successful application to the TET scheme, don't hesitate - you will make amazing friends in your colleagues and also in the other ETA's.
 
I am grateful to the University of East Anglia, Property Care Services PCS and DLA Piper for supporting this English Teaching Assistants programme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment